[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] A Virtual Box solution that works with Sticks

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Sep 23 15:57:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Caroline Meeks <solutiongrove at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since we can't seem to boot the MacBooks directly, but we could use Virtual
> Box, can anyone think of way to use Virtual Box that would allow students to
> use the info on their sticks so they can at another point in time use a
> classroom computer and not always need to use the same MacBook?

I may have mentioned this to you before, but I have managed to use my
SoaS stick directly with VirtualBox running on a Linux host.
VirtualBox has a method of making an entire physical disk available
inside it's emulated environment and this is what I used.  I have no
idea
whether this is doable under Mac OS X, nor do I have access to the
hardware/software to test it.  (Not to mention the time at the
moment.)  If you look in the VirtualBox manual for "Using a raw host
hard disk from a guest" in section 9, you will find info about what I
used.  If someone else with hardware access wants to try it, I'm happy
to exchange email.  You are liable to run into permissions issues and
any number of other problems getting this to work.  If you pick the
wrong host hard disk you could cause damage to your Mac OS X
installation
as well.

Bill Bogstad