[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:55:56 EDT 2009

I thought about that, but in that case it wouldn't be appropriate for
Sebastian or anyone associated with Fedora or any other distro for
that matter to moderate the list; the moderator would need to be
distro-independent. Would the list also be open to any alternate
liveUSB Sugar project? This seems premature to me, what "Sugar on a
Stick" refers to is still under discussion today without consensus (I
am confident consensus is possible though, as drawn-out as it can be
:-).

Whereas Sebastian is running a great project with today's SoaS and
that active project will I think benefit from a dedicated list despite
Martin's reasonable misgivings about duplicate membership in many
cases.

Put another way, if an Ubuntu liveUSB project with great ease of use
comes along, or Novell decides to push the openSuSE liveUSB through
their education sales channel, or a Trisquel variant with a
bulletproof stick loader and teacher-friendly setup screens turns out
to run great, my position is that Sugar Labs should at least have the
choice to put best foot forward with the best liveUSB project marketed
as "Sugar on a Stick". However, again, in all fairness to Sebastian
and as stated previously, I think the existing liveUSB Fedora project
is and should remain Sugar on a Stick for the forseeable future. So as
to reassure Sebastian that no rug will be pulled out from under him,
perhaps such a change could be scheduled? For example each year
following Oversight Board elections, first potential change a year
from now?

All of which woud not preclude alternate liveUSB projects from
appearing on the Try Sugar page (such alternate projects if very
active, possibly having their own lists).

The Marketing Team needs some certainty as much as the SoaS code
contributors; surprises are always difficult to handle if different or
contradictory from previous communications (a situation we dealt with
in June, fortunately with a happy ending).

Sean.