[IAEP] Text to speech and Dyslexia

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:55:47 EDT 2009

Works great on my test computer at home with SoaS Strawberry. We'll test on
school computers.
How can the Special Ed/ESL teacher take documents she currently has in say
word or pdf and get them loaded into this activity so the kids can have them
read to them?

Thanks,
Caroline

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

> The various emails about helping children with Dyslexia make me wonder
> if my own Activity Read Etexts might be of any use to them.  On SoaS
> it supports text to speech with highlighting.  On an XO it *can*
> support it if the gstreamer espeak plugin is installed, but
> unfortunately a version of that plugin that works for .82 on the XO is
> not currently available.
>
> Text to Speech works fine for any book that you can read with the
> Activity.  Highlighting works, but depending on your hardware the
> highlighted word may lag behind the word being spoken.
>
> Supported books include some 28,000 titles from Project Gutenberg and
> Project Gutenberg Australia, the books in the Baen Free Library of
> current science fiction (RTF version only) and text files like "Little
> Brother" by Cory Doctorow and "In the Beginning Was the Command Line"
> by Neal Stephenson.
>
> James Simmons

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove