[IAEP] [SLOBS] Long-term support for Sugar

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Sep 21 17:28:33 EDT 2009

Hi,

   > If it were on me, I'd just ditch the XO bundle format and use
   > native packages for each distro.  Some are already being
   > packaged, and the Python distutils are capable of producing rpms
   > and debs with the same ease of our current setup.py scripts.

But then every child in Uruguay (plus other deployments that withhold
root from their users) would hate you 'cause they wouldn't be able to
install activities anymore.  A solution that results in a significant
percentage of Sugar's users not being able to download activities
anymore is not a solution.

If we could switch to .rpm *and* find a good way to install .rpms
without being root, though, that would be pretty compelling.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>