[IAEP] XO Special interest group at Sugar Labs

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 21 10:06:43 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/21 David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>:
>> My idea is to start by getting a working version of the current
>> versions of Sugar and Fedora running on an XO.  The SIG might lose
>> some of the specific hardware benefits and mass deployment features on
>> the first couple of iterations.  But, it can work towards the larger
>> deployments needs as the development, testing, and triaging processes
>> improve.
>
> Thanks for the initiative.
> How do you plan to work with the existing efforts? e.g. SoaS ported
> and modified for XO, and F11-for-XO1

The project is starting with work flow focused goals.
1. Create a team.
2. Create a release cycle.
3. Start cranking out releases each one better than the last.

The missing gap in the current Sugar-> distro-> XO workflow is that
CJB is working from the deployment and hardware back to the distro and
Sugar.  This is both necessary and exactly what OLPC _needs_ Chris to
focus on. (Think of the relationship between redhat and fedora)

But, he and the entire ecosystem would benefit from a time based
release focus upstream.  That way they can pick an upstream and spend
six or eight months making it deployment ready rather than starting
from scratch every year or eighteen months.

It would be great if you would bring your work into the project.  As
far as I can tell, you and Chris are the two most knowledgeable people
working on this problem.  Not sure what your time available is:)
Hopefully, we can build a tight team to make your work more widely
available.

The goal is to provide a place where the various people working on
'upstream' XO, disto, and Sugar issues can come together, tighten
focus, and make their work available to the widest possible audience.

david