[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:34:59 EDT 2009

Trademark registration has a cost.

I've laid out several thousand USD for marketing expenses this year
(yesterday's press release for example was $600) and I could cover
SoaS trademark registration if money was the problem. I feel this is
the way to go.

Announcing a policy works with friends, but even misunderstandings can
quickly create difficulties. Others may be motivated to use the name
as we raise awareness, and without trademark registration we could
lose the right to use it. Both sugarlabs.com and sugarlabs.eu belong
to squatters for example.

Sean.