[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 11:43:53 EDT 2009

I'm sorry, I couldn't disagree more. The public has no idea what Sugar
is. Believe me, without marketing, that won't change. We're just at
the beginning, and for now paying marketing expenses out of pocket.

The Sugar on a Stick name and what it means wouldn't matter so much if:

a) GNU/Linux distributions made up more than 2% of the desktop market, and
b) the millions of teachers and tens of millions of Learners we want
to reach had already heard of Sugar and knew what it is.

Neither of these being the case, we have a very steep challenge
spreading the word about Sugar. The distros and desktops unfortunately
can't bring brand power to Sugar since they have so little. I stated
earlier (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-September/008402.html)
that our marketing strategy is focused on Sugar on a Stick because it
is a game-changer, bootable on 90% of computers likely to be in a
school.

Sugar Labs in my view needs to develop and safeguard the Sugar on a
Stick name, in order to be very clear what it is and what it does.

To my mind, SoaS today is Sebastian's work over Fedora. But generally
speaking, SoaS should refer to the easiest to use (including support),
most reliable liveUSB teachers can try. If half a dozen liveUSB
versions existed, and presented themselves to teachers in the same
way, it would be of secondary importance what the actual
distro/architecture of each Sugar on a Stick was. However, I doubt we
could easily support half a dozen different versions.

If, on the other hand, there exist half a dozen liveUSB
implementations but only one officially supported Sugar Labs Sugar on
a Stick, support will be at least manageable.

SoaS has a ways to go to become classroom-ready, but it's doable.

Widescale success of SoaS will lift all the boats.

Sean