[IAEP] [support-gang] which Sugar(s) will/should run on XO's? [was: Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94]

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Sep 19 06:28:43 EDT 2009

Hi Tabitha,

your offer is well noted and I'll suggest soon specific areas that I
think will be interested to test and hear the thoughts from your team.

About the particular effort of pushing forward one more stable release
for the XO-1, I strongly think we need a single individual that will
lead the effort and tie together the different teams that will be
working on it.

Maybe you or someone in your team would like to take this task? Or
maybe someone from the Support Gang?

I don't think this person needs to have a strong knowledge of the
technology nor of the release process. Just some knowledge of OLPC's
history, a good sense of community work and lots of enthusiasm.

Anyone is interested in taking this task?

Thanks,

Tomeu

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 23:57, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at hrdnz.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The New Zealand Wellington based Volunteer group meet EVERY WEEK and if you ask us to test we will. See us at: http://laptop.org.nz or http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/WellyNZTesters
>
> Volunteers who participate in our group are a mix of developers, testers, humanitarians, educators and advocates who want OLPC and Sugar to succeed in bringing education opportunities to children in developing countries.
>
> We can test on XOs on whatever build you want.  We can test any activity you want.
> We can test SoaS from USB and we can test Sugar running on virtual machines.
> We have a variety of hardware available to us (as in our own laptops seem to be varied).
>
> Be clear on what tests you want, how you want the results to be delivered and who is the contact person/group for each test. We spend most of our time wondering who wants us to test things, so without instruction we aim our efforts at raising awareness of OLPC and Sugar wherever we can, speaking at events and writing in our blogs and on our sites.
>
> Contact us at olpc-nz at lists.laptop.org and tell us what you would like us to test.
>
> Thanks
> Tabitha
>

> 2009/9/19 Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org>
>>
>> I agree with Tomeu below if we can begin very deliberately working with him and others to plan here -- we cannot spread ourselves too thin supporting too many builds/ditstros or we will quite simply fail.
>>
>> Expanding support for new hardware (XO-1.5) is confusion enough, as we are barely surviving the torrent of help at laptop.org emails today.
>>
>> But if the 200 of us can unite around a particular build (similar to Release 8.2.x whose stability is the only reason we survived the past year!) for the coming year then we Have A Shot :)
>> --A!
>>

>> Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94
>> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:06:18 +0200
>> From: Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
>> To: Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>

>> > That would be useful but actually the critical area lacking resources
>> > right now is people working on OS building and deployment
>> > technologies. If I can tame your interest in getting new Sugar on XO
>> > in a deployment-quality release, finding resources to work on these
>> > resources would be the biggest help you could provide.
>>
>> I personally think that making possible for XO-1 owners to upgrade to
>> recent Sugar releases is very important for Sugar Labs, and if we are
>> the only organization that can take this challenge, then we should do
>> it.
>>
>> But if we decided to go for it, I see two fundamental pieces missing:
>>
>> - someone to coordinate the effort,
>>
>> - a team of people willing to test new images, file bug reports, help
>> with triaging, etc.
>>
>> How can we get that? Maybe the OLPC Support Gang would like to get
>> involved in this? People from existing deployments?

> [...]

Farning