[IAEP] brief outline of my Sugar presentation last night

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:51:22 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Dennis Daniels
<dennisgdaniels at gmail.com> wrote:
> sugar presentation
>    Total talking time
>        15 min
>    20 or so people in attendance
>        gnocode in New Orleans
>            tech group
>            interested in doing 'public good' projects
>                setting up computer labs at Non Profits
>                web page dev
>                etc
>            mix of devs from all industries
>    overview of Sugar project
>        Used a use case diagram to help describe the 'whole' project on one page
>    demonstrated
>        Sugar web site
>         emphasized friendliness of IRC :)
>        Turtle Art
>        Neighbor hood
>        sharing of files
>    one person a Ruby guy on a mac installed Sugar on his VM during
> the presentation
>    future
>        do a presentation on how to create VM
>        then have users install Sugar during the meeting
>        bring SoaS

We've tried this and it can work, but note that you'll need a lot more
than 15 minutes.

Also, it is a bit much to do all in one session: motivate Sugar, help
get them up and running, and experience Sugar. Id be curious if you
could figure out a way to get people to get Sugar running BEFORE the
session and then use the session for "guided discovery" and
discussion.

Thanks for the report.

-walter

Walter Bender