[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Sep 16 12:58:58 EDT 2009

2009/9/16 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
> I cannot speak for Sebastian nor the whole SoaS community, but
> something like making SoaS an official project in SLs could go a long
> way. This would mean saying that "Sugar on a Stick" is a project with
> this vision, this mission, this roadmap, this governance model, etc.

Yes, that makes sense. Sebastian, if it were made a project would that
clear up your doubts?
This isn't giving SoaS any special treatment -- any project that comes
close to the calibre of soas is obviously candidate to become
recognised as an official project.

> Also discussing like Sean has made the possibility of an hypothetical
> switch to another distro is very good I think. Better have this on the
> table than letting it be hidden in the backs of our minds.

I don't think it would be fair to take over the name of another
project. If another distro project comes along, I feel that it should
pick its own name. And is the name really that important? As an
example, the existing OLPC distros never really had a name.  I call
them e.g. "OLPC OS 8.2.0" but there doesn't seem to be any consensus,
and it hasn't been a hinderance in adoption. The users don't really
get to see the bits that are underneath, so they only refer to "Sugar"
anyway.

Daniel