[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 06:36:51 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> We already have devel at lists.laptop.org for OLPC,
> fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com and others for Fedora,
> debian-olpc-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org for Debian,
> ubuntu-sugarteam at lists.ubuntu.com for Ubuntu. Why SoaS would be
> different and share the mailing list with the upstream developers?

And I think it is wrong and counterproductive to have so many mailing lists.

 - All have very modest subscription numbers, and very low traffic.

 - Anyone has to follow a lot of them to keep track of things!

 - But most importantly: *where the hell am I supposed to post
anything*? We'll have even more cross-posting in lists where you have
90% overlap, and to make matters worse, some of the lists involved
here have broken Reply-to settings that _break_ cross-list
discussions. So replies to a crosspost that involves fedora-olpc for
example _break_ the discussion.

Human brains s are _excellent_ at filtering, and we are a small group.
Yes, all of these are sub-projects of a grander Sugar (and Fedora, and
Debian, and Ubuntu, and OLPC) vision. These subprojects deserve a
separate identity -- but a separate identiy does not equal a separate
forum of discussion. We all talk in one shared space, but retain our
name and affiliation.

We need to hear all the voices and we naturally filter the messages
that are relevant.

   -- a separate identiy does not equal a separate forum of discussion --

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions