[IAEP] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Sep 15 04:24:11 EDT 2009

FWIW, as a (upstream) Sugar developer what I would like to see is:

== Further separation between upstream and downstreams ==

Without artificially privileging nor discriminating any downstream. So
a big +1 to giving a stronger identity to the SoaS project and to
creating a separate mailing list.

We already have devel at lists.laptop.org for OLPC,
fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com and others for Fedora,
debian-olpc-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org for Debian,
ubuntu-sugarteam at lists.ubuntu.com for Ubuntu. Why SoaS would be
different and share the mailing list with the upstream developers?

As I'm also personally involved in SoaS (because as an individual I
chose to) I will subscribe to the new SoaS ml and will crosspost as I
see fit, but I don't think this should be SLs policy.

== SLs to decide if it wants to produce an end-user product ==

If we agree on this, then I think it will be easier to decide if
there's value in designating one as the preferred consumer-oriented
product and which distro that would be.

== SLs to keep empowering the people who choose to do stuff ==

We have almost no budget, so we cannot tell people on what they should
work. So unless people can do what they want and they feel supported
by SLs, we are going to disappear quite soon.

Just to make it clear, by "do" I don't mean only to code. Actually, we
could say that we have a surplus of coders if we see releases as a
continuous process that starts from identifying needs and ends with
publishing solutions to them.

We need people that talk to users and deployers, that translate and
consolidate the feedback, that provide this information in a way
usable by coders and, very importantly, that close the cycle by
telling deployers which of their needs have been addressed in a new
release.

The GPA deployment team has done a remarkably good job at explaining
their needs and I have been giving priority to those issues over the
ones expressed by individuals. But still there's lots of room to
improve: needs should be expressed in a more appropriate moment of the
release cycle, we need to find a way for deployers to engage in the
feature process and we need a very simple way for a developer to know
which issues are important where.

Most other deployments are totally absent from our community and a few
others have made too timid attempts to express their needs. This needs
to change. We have made a call for help with bug triaging and the
developers are having to do that ourselves because no one replied.
Several people have spent hours writing emails criticizing developers
for how little we care about OLPC, but cannot spend less than that
time in helping triaging bugs.

With such an enormous hole in our community I don't think we can tell
an individual like Sebastian that he should row his boat in some other
direction. We are still too weak and depend too much on such
passionate people to waste them.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning