[IAEP] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 14 21:15:15 EDT 2009

Philippe Clérié wrote:
>> SoaS is a great way to distribute Sugar, but it will certainly never be
>> "*the* way", as long as all these other people are around, working hard
>>  on other distribution mechanisms.
>
> But, it could *the* way SugarLabs does it. As you correctly point out, other
> people will always be able to do their own thing.

These "other people" are heavily involved with Sugar.  Most are members of
Sugar Labs, and are obviously eligible to be if they are not.  Sugar Labs
is its members.

If you mean that SoaS is likely to be the most heavily promoted
user-facing software product whose principal brand is Sugar, and which is
maintained principally under the banner of Sugar Labs, then I agree.  I
just can't infer that statement from the shorthand phrase "the way" to get
Sugar.