[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Project Guidelines posted

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 14 10:21:34 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 12:25 -0500, David Farning wrote:
>> Project/SIGs are product focused.  The exist to help guide a project
>> through it's life cycle.  For example, there has recently been some
>> rather heated discussions about working more closely with Qt.  This is
>> an example of a idea the could start as a SIG and grow into a project
>> and be included in the Learning Platform.... if it proves useful.
>
> Sorry to have not been involved in this conversation.
>
> So it sounds to me like Karma should be an SL SIG and later an SL
> Project. I really don't have an idea of how it will be governed but I
> will leave that to later as i see how the community around it develops.
> So I guess Karma can't progress from SIG to project until the leadership
> process is defined.

The work going on in Nepal is one of the primary reasons for
establishing SIGs and projects.  Nepal is doing an amazing job of
creating solutions for local problems.

Sigs/projects are a place where deployments can share ideas and work
together on solutions for local issues.

A good example of how to progress would be to work through the
questions on the SIG guidelines at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Project_Guidelines .  The
questions are not just bureaucratic hurdles.  They represent some of
the best practices that Eclipse, Apache and Fedora have found helping
ideas grow into successful projects.  You have already worked through
most of the issues for karma.

The project wiki format is basically the same a a team wiki page.  It
is pretty flexible yet makes it easy for someone to discover what your
project is all about and how to get involved.

david