[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Bill Bogstad's floppy disk boot (Soas)

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 10:48:01 EDT 2009

I tested this on the GPA computer lab computers. It takes about 1 more
minute (4.5 vs 3.5) to boot.  I think that it will take more then a minute
on average to give all the students CDs, have them open the CD drawer, turn
off the computer, turn it on again and collect all the CD at the end of
class so that the next class boots into Windows.  My plan is the floppies
can just live in the machines, not pushed in all the way.
The current version
requires the user to press enter 1 minute into the process. Can we get
a version that we just start the boot, then goto the rug for our
lesson and 4.5 minutes later the machines are booted?

Thanks!

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Art Hunkins <abhunkin at uncg.edu> wrote:

> With regard to Bill Bogstad's floppy boot disk project for SoaS: it works
> flawlessly for me. (I've tried it successfully on both an older Windows
> laptop and desktop - vintages: Pentium II/III.)
>
> I've one suggestion for Bill: for use by children, I'd make everything as
> automatic as possible. Either delete the display where the user needs to
> make a choice (it's *way* technical and *I* didn't know what to do), or put
> a (10"?) auto-timer on it so that it goes on through (the usual way)
> without
> user intervention.
>
> For Windows people: I suggest creating the boot disk with RAWriteWin. It's
> simple, user-friendly and efficient.
>
> Great job, Bill.
>
> Art Hunkins

Caroline Meeks