[IAEP] Sugar on a Stick v2 Release Naming

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Sep 10 07:46:24 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:33, Martin Dengler<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:41:31AM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
>> I'm sorry Martin, I thought I was answering
>
> You were but there's a lot of extra information that's sometimes hard
> to parse - ultimately someone needs to put an image file in a
> directory...so I was hoping that you would just say "yes" or "no - use
> [this one]" when I asked you:
>
>> > Ah - so perhaps this:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Logo_white_05.png
>> >
>> > ...is the logo you want, not the one I mentioned in my email:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Logo_white_04.png
>
> [Hoped for:]
>> YES - use #5
> [or]
>> NO - use #4
>
> But the reason I'm dragging this out even further is I got:
>
>> About the logo, it's the "blueberriest" one we will want, variant 4
>
> Aha so it's 4...but no, wait:
>
>> the one we used in the marketing materials prepared for the Strawberry
>> launch, variant 6:
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/BoothBanners
>
> ...so it's...6?!
>
> So do you want 4 (like you said first above) or 6 (like you said
> second above) or 5 (like you said earlier since you want it to be one
> of the ones from the beauty shot that clearly doesn't have 4 or 6)?
>

>> No, there wasn't "marketing decided", it was Tomeu who thought of
>> flavors, myself who thought of ice cream flavors (preferably fruit
>> since "natural" wholesome sugars, a "fun treat for kids"), and
>> sdziallas who agreed to the idea at the marketing meeting.
>
> Tomeu suggested exactly what he suggested, which was clearly NOT
> flavours: "Cherry-Oak" is not a flavour.  You and Eben were talking
> about colours explicitly and nobody said _anything_ about flavours:

I think it's most appropriate to say that this idea was developed
collectively. I don't remember what I said nor why, but I think I was
expressing support for someone else's earlier idea.

I think most or all specific suggestions in this thread will work well
and I don't think it's much worth discussing which one will be best.

If someone really cares, we could define a process to decide names
such as Fedora's, though I really hope we find better names than them,
which I personally dislike even more than Ubuntu's.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning