[IAEP] 40 maths shapes challenges

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 20:12:59 EDT 2009

Well, much of the version of calculus that is used in the physical sciences is adapted from Gauss' differential geometry of vectors, and that is the math that Seymour adapted for Logo (in part because DGofV uses the same "from where I am" coordinate system that children have built in).

So the real problem is to convince school folks (most of whom are innocent of mathematics) that Logo is actually more like the real deal than what they have gotten into the habit of teaching. This "innocence" was (I believe) one of the main factors for Logo not catching on in the early 80s (or now).

And, by the way, the circle as the limit of a polygon whose side count gets unboundedly larger with the side lengths approaching zero is the way Archimedes thought of circles, and the way he was able to get the first really good approximation to pi.

I.e. don't worry about Logo, let's worry about the school systems ...

Cheers,

Alan