[IAEP] [support-gang] Following My Own Advice

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Wed Sep 2 18:32:36 EDT 2009

Caryl,
You sent your email to iaep-request, which isn't the actual IAEP mailing
list, so I'm quoting your mail entirely in my reply:

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 18:12, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi...
> Well, I followed my own advice and ordered a fresh copy of Strunk and
> White's "The Elements of Style."  The price has gone up since my first copy
> many years ago (about $1.25). Now it lists for $9.95, but is worth every
> penny. It arrived by FedEx 2 day from Amazon this afternoon.
>
> All this brings me to the controversy that really bothered me for the book
> sprint last summer, punctuation with quotation marks.  I was "raised" on the
> "American" style and had to use it when writing for publication in
> newspapers and magazines. There is a wikipedia article about this here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Punctuation
>
> Last summer, we followed more of the "British" style discussed in the above
> article. I really had to grit my teeth for that, but did it anyway.
>
> This summer, it really doesn't matter to me which style we use, just so we
> all use the same one, which seems to be the British style (unless someone
> changes it).

As a technical publication, I personally prefer that we use "Logical
Quotations", to avoid any ambiguity in meaning. Strings are First Class
Objects, and shouldn't be tainted with superfluous punctuation, IMHO.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc