[IAEP] Remove the naming alert in 0.86

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Sep 2 11:35:57 EDT 2009

On 09/02/2009 01:32 PM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some of you may know, I am doing a Sugar Pilot here in Germany. I try to
>> keep my blog (listed on the sugarlabs planet as well) about my findings
>> up to date [1]. For technical findings (how to setup nfs, ldap on Fedora
>> for example) the plan is to use the wiki. 'Debatable things' I will try
>> to bring up on the mailing list as well.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Simon
>>
>> [1] http://erikos.sweettimez.de/   ---   Categories: Sugar, Deployment
>> and Teaching
>> [2] http://planet.sugarlabs.org/
>

> +1 on removing the “naming alert”, this has been bugging me since the day
> it's been introduced.
>
> Adding “rewards” to the Journal is something that David Van Assche and Gary
> C Martin discussed quite a bit Paris. Unfortunately nobody had the time to
> really follow up on these discussions with some actual code... :-/
> Looking forward to the next blog posts about your experiences in the school!
>
> Christoph

Let me post here from my blog post why I think it is important:

As much as I am a friend of highlighting the naming, tagging and
description purposes, I don’t think the alert is a good way to ‘enforce’
this. I think those actions are not first class ones. I am happy when
the kids understood the concept of the Journal a bit, but they will not
start to make better descriptions in the first Sugar days or weeks, with
or without the alert. For now, it is just a confusing dialog that pops
up when you close an activity. And later, once the kids would know about
the importance they would be better served with other tools. For example
an option in the activity toolbar (like we have for the title already).
 From my experience I highly recommend to remove the alert, +1 when for
0.86 already.

I think we had some discussion on that one already. Let's decide if we
do it or not. At least this is direct feedback from the field.

Regards,
    Simon