[IAEP] 40 maths shapes challenges

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 03:14:52 EDT 2009

I recommend Tilings and Patterns by Branko Grunbaum and G.C. Shephard
as a source for many, many more such challenges.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Bill Kerr<billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Image attached
> Forty shapes to make in Scratch or some other version of logo, such
> as Turtle Art. It's hard to see the thumbnail but click on it for a larger
> view.
>
> This is one of the best sheets ever for teaching maths (designed by Barry
> Newell):
>
> the logo turtle or scratch cat acts as a transitional object between the
> concrete maths shape and the abstraction of the script that makes the shape
> the sheet includes both simple and complex shapes, increasing in order of
> complexity, there is a challenge there for everyone
> many of the more complex shapes are made up of combinations of the simpler
> shapes
>
> Source: Barry Newell's Turtle Confusion (1988)

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name, and
Children are
my nation. The Cosmos is my dwelling place, the Truth my destination.
http://earthtreasury.org/