[IAEP] For Example: Re: Any ideas how to make an image with a transparent background inSugar?

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 22:52:46 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

For example, here's a technique that takes one more step, but I like to use this (and most illustrators like this) to do this kind of work.

Basic idea is to pick a paint color that can be used to make a mask, and work on painting the mask around the part of the image you want to isolate.

I like blue for this.

1. First I rough it out with the number 3 brush on the top row, putting in dots and painting outwards, and using Undo when I make a mistake.

2. Then I select "No Color" (the bar over the paint rainbow), and choose the fill tool (the paint bucket). Drop this on the blue and it will turn to transparent.

3. Then I pick the brush and the larger brush sizes to paint out the rest of the surround.

I saved each stage for you to look at using "Export" in in the "menu handle" as a PNG (you can also choose BMPs, JPGs, etc.) But PNG has a color for transparent.

P.S. There is even an better way to do this, which requires one more stage of learning ... and that is to use the polygon tool found in the "tool drawer" at the bottom of the paint palette. This allows a lot of adjustment and finagling when the image is tricky.

Best wishes,

Alan