[IAEP] New activity: Arithmetic.

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 09:45:31 EDT 2009

Hi Chris,

I had a crazy idea for Arithmetic yesterday.

Its a wonderful game for the GPA. Its exactly the kind of practice the
students at GPA need. Its collaborative and other people are a huge key to
engagement.

But as you said it needs a little something more to make it fun.  This may
not be technically easy but here is my idea.

Combine it with Physics.  Everytime you get an answer right you earn a move
in Physics. You get to put down a block or make a new shape or grab.

Super cool would be collaborative where everyone is working in the same
world either trying to build something together or just knocking each other
stuff around.

Scoring: with this we no longer need explicit scoring. I think scoring can
be discouraging if you are always the worst one in your class or you just
have brain that is slow to retrieve math facts. However, I think your moves
should expire, so if you are fast you have an advantage, you have more time
to think about and make your physics moves.  I think the goal is to
encourage the students to speed up their retrieval, but still have it be fun
no matter where you are right now.

Doing well and playing fast gives you advantages that are fun, but doesn't
set up a strict, I win, you lose dynamic.

Is a shared physics world among all the contestants possible? It might be as
good or better for some personality types if everyone had their own world.
Especially if you could see a picture of the other people's worlds.

A feature request is to save at least a picture of the world you create to
the Journal so we can use it in a Portfolio.  "I created this roller coaster
by knowing my multiplication facts on hard"

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office