[IAEP] thin clients

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:57:40 EDT 2009

Actually without getting people wirngingling their fists, I'd have to say
that due to Open Suse's policy of basically lending an open hand to anyone
with magical ideas, and then not only allowing you to use their name, but
also their inframagic, from Opensuse Buidle Service to Suse Studio, to
creating yout own web domain hosted under novel, yet without the requirement
to carry novell only soft on it, (linux-for-education.org is a good example)
it has allowed them to kind of leap frog over some of the competition,
though no one likes to admit this. For example in the case of LTSP an easy
visual setp facility was built in, along with trying it out even before
installing, Sugar on kiwi-ltsp was working just fine the last time I took a
look, though that has admittadly beena while. I made back then to include as
many well working fully functional sugar apps on both the sugar only cd and
the whole edu dvd. The whole EDU dvd is truly a work of art, and is where a
lot of the other distros could be at it if werent for politics. But hey....
I'm currently mixxed ina small telepathy based collaborative quiz (
git.sugarlabs.org/projects/pyclic) and some larger telepathy
based/LTSP/Sugar/Wirelss/XMPP based suff... but I'll try and get this email
to push me update sugaresuse..

anyw more questions... just ask..

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Deborah Boatwright
> <boatwrightd at newmarket.k12.nh.us> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am intrigued by many aspects of Sugar on a Stick.  My school uses
> Novell with Windows XP on the desk top.
> >
> > Then I have a thin client network using LTSP-KIWI Opensuse that does not
> work well. It is two servers and 72 thin clients.
> >
> >  I have a mobile laptop lab of 24 PC that are R30 thinkpads.
> >
> > My question is I found this site and wondered if I can use Sugar as an
> application on my thin clients.
> >
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Sugar
>
> Short answer is yes you can.
>
> Longer answer it might take some work.  From what I have seen,
> OpenSuse is the current leader in education solutions base on thin
> clients.
>
> I am ccing David Van Assche, the opensuse package maintainer.  He will
> be most knowledgeable about (or can refer you to knowledgeable people)
> deploying Sugar on OpenSuse in a thin client environment.
>
> david
>
> > The district has said it is switching to linux 100% and will use a
> windows application server to deliver apps that are necessary otherwise.
> >
> > Sincere Regards,
> > Deb

Stephen Leacock<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html>
- "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue that I shall some
day
die, which is not so."