[IAEP] Calculate and SocialCalc Lesson ideas?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:06:43 EDT 2009

I can provide a spreadsheet that I use for monitoring my blood sugar,
because of my (relatively mild) diabetes.

I recommend that we think about a sequence of lessons on elementary
probability and statistics based on soccer (except possibly in
countries where baseball or cricket are the prime national sports). It
seems to me that this is the numeric topic most likely to rouse
interest among students while being acceptable to teachers. But I
would ask children what other questions they have that could be
answered with a spreadsheet.

The first topic, covering several lessons, is to have multiple
children doing multiple column data entry, and formula entry and
validation.

If we can copy a rectangular range of data from one spreadsheet to
another, we can demonstrate various other workflows and applications,
such as entering data singly, offline, and merging it in a
collaborative session.

Later on, someone could do up a spreadsheet for the Net Present Value
and Return on Investment of one computer for one child over a
lifetime, with replacements every so many years, and other such
matters. We could talk about how to evaluate progress on each of the
UN Millennium Development Goals. We could talk about the spreadsheets
needed for a microfinance institution and its borrowers.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/