[IAEP] next SLOBs meeting reminder/agenda: 2009-10-30

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Fri Oct 23 19:46:40 EDT 2009

Three quick notes about our next meeting (same time, same place -
#sugar-meeting at 1400 UTC Friday 30 Oct):

1. A place for the agenda is here.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Log-2009-10-30. If
you'd like to add something for consideration for the agenda, see
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Minutes#How_to_add_topics.

You'll notice that I'm proposing that we dedicate our next SLOBs meeting
entirely towards solidifying a clear way for SL community members to
request, and SLOBs to make, decisions - one that doesn't necessarily
rely on 100% SLOBs attendance + consensus (or confirming that that's the
only option that we want, if that's the case). It doesn't mean the
decision-making procedure will be perfect - only that it be operational,
working, and able to amend itself by meeting's end.

*Please* speak up if there is something more urgent that should trump
this, or if you disagree; I personally think a way to make decisions is
a prerequisite for handling the other urgent issues we have coming up
(such as SoaS trademarking) well, but suggestions on how to do this
better are *always* welcome.

2. In order for this to work, a few things have to happen.

* We need 100% SLOBs attendance and participation (and consensus on the
final set of options) at the next SLOBs meeting.

* We need a good laying-out of options on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Requesting_a_SLOBs_decision. I'll call for
help on Planet and the mailing lists again shortly.

* We need everyone who's going to participate in the discussion (SLOBs,
anyone who wants to chime in at the meeting, anyone who can't make the
meeting but wants to chime in on the mailing list beforehand) to read
and consider http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Requesting_a_SLOBs_decision,
and be up-to-date on that page at meeting time.

That's it. I believe this will bootstrap SLOBs into being able to move
*far* more easily and efficiently in the future. But it does mean that,
for one week, we *may get nothing else done.* (Or rather, may have to
get everything else done on mailing lists rather than at our meeting.)

That's the tradeoff I would choose, and the one I propose - I'm curious
to hear what others think, though, so please fire away.

--Mel