[IAEP] changes in outlook with Sugar (was Re: Comments on David Kokorowski, David Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW)

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:48:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 13:49, Alan Kay<alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > But, if I were trying to make things happen with IAEP, I would try to do
> > just a few main things, and one of them would be to make a
> > program/user-interface which could do a great job of teaching a child to
> > read and write their native language without requiring any more from the
> > adults around them than a little encouragement. Part of the desired
> changes
> > in outlook could be made part of the stories and other materials that the
> > kid would encounter along the way (and part of the big change in outlook
> > that we are a part of is fluent reading of non-story materials in general
> > and about outlook changing ideas in particular).
>
> Do you have already any vision about how to make that happen? I have
> seen lately several people interested in working on better tools for
> reading, may be a very interesting opportunity.

The Teachermate materials might be a starting point. Tomeu, do you have any
clarity about how much content they are offering to us and what the license
agreement would be?

Today we discussed this product in one of my classes as an excellent example
of Universal Design for Learning principals.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/wiggleworks/index.htm

The videos might give some ideas for Sugar Activities that could empower
teachers to create similar materials and share them.

Caroline

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
> > Best wishes,