[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2009-10-19

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:16:17 EDT 2009

=== Sugar Digest ===

1. I had been meaning to mention that already several weeks ago we
exceeded one-million downloads from activities.sugarlabs.org. We are
now over 1.1 million.

2. Last week, Sayamindu Dasgupta posted a blog
[http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings/2009/10/14/books-sugar-and-olpc/]
about the various tools for downloading and reading books in Sugar. If
you haven't yet seen it, it is worth a look.

accessible lesson plans, Martin Dengler has created a wikify your
Sugar Lesson Plan template [[Lesson_plan_template]].

4. The minutes from last week's Sugar Labs oversight board meeting are
posted in the wiki  [[Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2009-10-16]].
Our next meeting will be this Friday (23 Oct) on #sugar-meeting at
14:00 UTC.

=== In the community ===

5. Simon Schampijer has posted an initial schedule for the Sugar Camp
at Bolzano. [[Marketing_Team/Events/Sugarcamp_Bolzano_2009#Schedule]]

6. I'll be speaking at Free Software Day at Universidad de San Martín
de Porres (USMP) in Lima next Saturday.

=== Tech Talk ===

7. Rubén Rodríguez Pérez had a correction to the information I posted
last week re the Trisquel packaging of Sugar. Please refer to
[http://devel.trisquel.info/sugar/trisquel-sugar_3.0-LATEST_i686.iso]
for the latest image. Current snapshots are in found at
[http://devel.trisquel.info/sugar/].

8. I have been trying to wrap my head around how to use Cairo in
Sugar. With the help of Tomeu Vizoso, I finally think I understand how
it all works. Check out [[Activity Team/Sample code/Ruler]]. I
modified Mitchell Charity's Ruler to use the new toolbars and enable
one to set the DPI of the display. (Ruler had previously been set to
display correctly on the OLPC XO; as a consequence, the DPI was wrong
on most other displays.) Next, I'll try to refactor Turtle Art to use
Cairo.

===Sugar Labs===

9. Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past week of discussion on
the IAEP mailing list (Please see
[[File:2009-October-10-16-som.jpg]]).

-walter

--