[IAEP] A proposal from Trisquel (Was Re: [SoaS] [DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Oct 19 00:55:28 EDT 2009

Hi Rubén,

Feedback after testing trisquel-sugar_3.0RC_i686 on a recent MacBook
Pro:

1). Live CD boots and runs fine on a MacBook Pro (though has no
wireless network, or camera support, and screen redraw was a little
slow in some activities so I guess no or little use of gfx hardware
acceleration).

2). Using the Live CD to install trisquel-sugar to a USB stick (my
main test goal). WARNING DATA LOSS: Targeting a USB stick for the
install process worked smoothly, but right at the very end I spotted
it saying "installing grub to hd0". This renders the primary internal
hard disk on a Mac un-bootable. After much experimentation***, the
only safe solution was a fresh re-patrition of the drive, and to
perform a full restore from a back-up (thank goodness for Apple's Time
Machine).

*** PRAM resets, Disk Utility volume recovery, re-setting start-up
disk, blessing from command line, re-install of OS, couple of other
3rd party recovery tools. If someone is unfortunate enough not to have
a recent back-up, I think the disk data may be still recoverable as I
did eventually manage to access the original data. If I had more time
to faff, I think I could have experimented using the diskutil command
line tool. The default install of an Intel Mac HD is a GUID partition
scheme, with a small EFI partition, and then the rest of the disk as a
bootable HFS+ partition (this looked fine but I didn't want to risk
using the data there). FWIW, the visible symptom upon reboot was a
grey screen for perhaps 30 sec, eventually a blinking grey folder icon
with a question mark – the Mac basically can't find a bootable HD (but
will happily boot off other media, say your original OS install DVD).

3). The resulting USB Stick failed to boot on a MacBook (but might
work on other hardware, need to test).

Regards,
--Gary