[IAEP] Lesson Plans for Sugar (was: Re: Curriki & Sugar)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sun Oct 18 23:33:51 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 01:09:50AM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > > Does a taxonomy of lesson plans exist on Curriki or elsewhere?
[...]
> I will wiki-fy [ your Sugar Lesson Plan template ] for the people
> don't have a compatible version of Microsoft Word (like me).

I wiki-fied it here:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Lesson_plan_template

...and linked to it here:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Education_Team/Lesson_Plan_resources

A number of improvements suggest themselves that I'll just record here
for fear of turning the wiki page into a the normal soup of half-baked
ideas:

* Some meta-data are lacking:
    - target age group
    - what national curriculas' areas are covered/applicable
    - sugar activity/-ies involved
    - template version number and canonical URL

* Target audience: is it developers, or teachers?

    - developers: the template should become a text file for inclusion
      in a standard activity git (source code) repository

    - developers: a sugar widget / widget set for manipulating lesson
      plans could be developed; think of what MaMaMedia activities
      like Poll Builder show[1], but without having to put gtk widgets
      together to do that

    - teachers: this is likely to be too hard to use

    - teachers: this is likely to be too hard to submit somewhere

    - teachers: is this really where they are going to look for this
      type of stuff

* Perhaps the real target audience is "in between": deployment
  volunteers trying to bridge the gap between teachers and activity
  developers?

Martin

1. raw data is similar to: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Poll_Builder:_Lesson_1

2. Based on updating
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Education_Team/Lesson_Plan_resources , I
can only say: the problem is not that there aren't enough lesson plans
on the web.  I definitely exceeded some mental stack frame limits
browsing the dmoz.org lesson plan entries...there are a ton of "lesson
plan"s out there.  Perhaps someone from the yahoo directory / dmoz.org
directory would be good to pull into the Education team?