[IAEP] Montessori madness...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 11:01:51 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Yama Ploskonka <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me go a step further than Martin.  Anything, including the bestest and
> newest computer thingie, will fail when the expected enabler is an
> unenthusiastic teacher.

Sometimes. And sometimes it will make an unenthusiastic teacher
interested (maybe permanently, maybe for a while). Sometimes it will
open a window for curious kids (that is: all of them) to explore a bit
on their own.

I don't agree on the purely negative reading of WBs "theory". And
actually nobody here does, otherwise we'd use our time in something
more productive.

But it is a very good kick in the gut to make us realize that we
aren't the star in the movie. The protagonists are the children and
teachers. We're just... an accessory. Sometimes useful, sometimes
getting in the way.

And I am here to maximize the useful, and minimize the getting in the way.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions