[IAEP] Montessori madness...

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:48:30 EDT 2009

Some sweet old brother already pulled me over once for basically agreeing to
somebody's post, but I will risk that again.

Martin is so very right here, painfully so considering that with XOs and
Sugar we are trying some very different options to work.  We are assuming
that we can use technology to improve over (sometimes very) limited teacher
skills and other issues.  Of course the saner among us are aware that
getting rid of teachers will just make things worse.

Yes, dedicated, highly trained, enthusiastic, "smart" teachers with great
materials, small groups of kids from families who care for education cannot
but succeed, at least compared to the alternatives.

Let me go a step further than Martin.  Anything, including the bestest and
newest computer thingie, will fail when the expected enabler is an
unenthusiastic teacher.

And enthusiasm itself, alas, might not be enough, or at least something hard
to actually make last long enough so that actual skill, the real deal maker,
gets a chance to grow in the teacher and kids.

BTW, spending half an hour in a Montessori environment (as claimed in the
website) will not give you the right picture, which is of an actually *very
rigid and disciplined set of procedures*, actually the only way that
exploring and creativity can get anywhere good.

Kids build their perception on their own, but their exploration itself is
very constrained to specific events and objects in a Montessori classroom,
with a high degree of follow up and teacher intervention.