[IAEP] Pedagogical Vision for the Journal was GPA Report - Feedback on using the Journal

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Oct 9 11:40:54 EDT 2009

Yama, I agree with you 100% about the need to prepare kids for the
standardized tests.
A world where the powers that be judge people on Portfolios rather then high
stakes standardized tests is a Utopia that is yet to exist. We must prepare
todays youth for today's world.

Teachers must assess students learning as part of their daily processes, I
do not use the term assessment to mean just the government tests.
 Portfolios as an effective way for teachers and other adults to help a
child learn.  They are a reality that exists now and has research  behind it
and it is a method of interest of many current teachers.  Doing it with
paper is unweildy but its being done.  We can make it easier, more portable,
more efficient and effective.

Yes, we must prepare students for standardized tests, but research shows,
including the paper I pointed you to last week, that even if the
standardized tests emphasis retrieval, just drilling students on facts all
day is not very good preparation.  Good education is far more then that.
Portfolios are an "And", they are yet another tool the teacher and the
student can use to support learning.  And Sugar includes games that drill on
facts too.

Ok I'm off to the wood for the weekend! So no more philosophy for me! have
fun.

Caroline

--
Caroline Meeks