[IAEP] "Grannie" Needs Help!

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:46:15 EDT 2009

Bottom line, Caryl, you may not need an access point, but maybe that
makes all the difference as to how far they can be and still connect to
each other.

So I tested things, coincidentially with 10 XOs on build 802, and a
Sam's Club vanilla cheapest  Linksys WRT54g2 V1

First, without even an access point all the machines but one could see
each other.
When testing different builds yesterday some could see only those with
their own build, and some were sort of random as to what other they
could see.  My lab notes somewhere :-)

When I plugged in the Access Point and logged them to it, they *only
could see those who were already logged in already.*  They lost "sight"
of those that were not connected.  Note that the Access point was not
connected to the Internet, just plugged to the wall, to act as a repeater.

I didn't test collaboration, just if they could "see" one another.  They
were all pretty close together, except one.  Not all machines could see
that one, about 15 feet away, and only after noticing that "ghost"
that showed up inconsistently I remembered it in the hallway charging
and on since yesterday, so I didn't get to test fully this matter of
distance.  One of these days I will test them at different distances.

Only two could see Access Points outside of the house, and as I
mentioned, one could see nothing, even after rebooting, so I guess its
radio is no good.   Out of 10,  2 better than average, one radio dead
seem consistent with numbers I had been given informally at 1CC.  I am
curious about other people's experiences.

All in all it is not clear whether to use the access point would have
made a difference, as they could "see" each other on F1 (neighborhood
view) even without the access point turned on.  But that might make all
the difference when it comes to distance.

Yama