[IAEP] "Grannie" Needs Help!

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Oct 8 01:27:57 EDT 2009

Caryl,
   There are two easy solutions that jump to mind.
The decision is independent of a school server, you
are really choosing how to interface the laptops to
a network.

If the school will allow a Wifi network, add a small
cheap WiFi (802.11b/g) access point, configured
as a transparent access point.  The laptops will have
to select this AP once in the neighborhood, then
"everything" will work.

If the school insists on a wired network, then you can
use USB/ethernet dongles to connect the laptops to
the network.   Several dongles are known to work
(is there a list for F9 somewhere ?).
If they are supported their use is automatic if plugged in.

In either case, you might consider a school server
to interface between the laptop network and the internet.
For ten laptops in a school, however, it is definitely
not required.

Cheers,
wad