[IAEP] youtube upload was Re: share videos from XO?

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 16:07:51 EDT 2009

OK guys.  The mystery is still on, but the whatever was not working is
working now.

Today I spent way too much time loading 6 different builds in as many XOs
and testing each one as to
1) capture a video using Record
2) upload to youtube

The usability of Sugar/XO was atrocious.

I mean, I am a mean old dog, but it took me forever to get things running.
Forget it for people who do not have the background or tenacity, or worse,
if they have al life.

That said, the fruits of my labors are at
http://www.youtube.com/user/yamaplos

bottom line, I was able to upload to Youtube from builds 656, 703, 711, 767
(both GG and 'plain'), and 802.  My 708 usb didn't run, so that one didn't
make it.

the "fresh" 656 vanilla was the winner in terms of ease to get it done.  I
loaded 656 also on a machine that had an "invalid system date", and that had
peculiar quirks.

the 711 was the worst, neither offering to update or having activities
pre-loaded.

802), and had to be done in stages, for Record was not available as a
software update.  Luckily Browse was, so I loaded that one (slowwwwww) and
then using Browse went to the Activities page and got Record from there.
Record 8.2/64 gives options for Hi, Med and Low res.  "Hi" was very
fragmented.  Maybe not enough light?  I'll try out it further before I call
it a victim to featuritis.  Or is this the first example of features that
work on the 1.5 but don't in the XO 1?  that would be a crying shame, as any
kind of feature creep is.

oh well

Yama

I had assumed for a while that my difficulties uploading were originally due
to me being in Gallaudet, maybe a filter, so it was refreshing to find out
when Walter tried that it wasn't that.  Maybe some Youtube / Dailymotion
simultaneous issue?
Maybe a former release of Record?
who knows....