[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Xoos Special Interest Group

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Oct 5 16:33:29 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> As promised, we have started work on the XO operating system SIG at
>> Sugar Labs.  The SIG pages are at http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Xoos .
>
> Cool! Who is active around this SIG? (David, it's a bit hard to tell
> if you are making the announcement because you're leading it, or
> because you're the man that makes announcements :-) ).

I would describe myself as the man leading the project until I can
find some one better to replace me.  I can support whoever step ups.
But for this project to work, it needs to be lead by developers.

> I am starting to "smoketest" cjb's builds in my spare time. TBH, at
> this time it feels a lot less polished than the "SoaS2" builds which
> where F-11/Sugar-0.84.

My XOs should be arriving tomorrow:) So I will get to do some testing
and work on creating smokes tests.

> In brief, it feels as if a lot of the stabilization that happened
> around that timeframe exists but it's not in the XOOS build (for
> example: most sample code bits in pippy don't work because "import
> pippy" is broken).

Yes, this is the gap I hope this SIG/Project fills.  There is
innovative stuff going on and there is deployment stuff going on.  But
there is no place for the innovations to stabilize.  The best model
for this is the Fedora-> RedHat relationship.

> I suspect there's a disconnect somewhere, maybe Sebastian's builds use
> a non-fedora repo for Sugar packages, or maybe F-11 Sugar was great
> but the updates broke things.
>
>> Based on feedback from the current developers working in this space,
>> the most valuable starting point will be to start making daily Xoos
>> builds.
>
> Using the same infra as cjb?

I am hoping so.  So far, I have looked at the f11 on 1.0 and f11 on
1.5 work.  Next,  I will look at mdt's soas on XO.  Finally, I will
look at the stuff CJB s doing.  The goal is to stick as close to cjbs
work as possible.

> For starters, I suspect a quick review (and smoketest, if you have hw)
> of cjb's builds would help a ton.

I have XO-1.0s coming.  I would like to start by focusing on the 1.0
to make sure that it does not forgotten about.

davd