[IAEP] Accessing the hard drive of the host machine from a Virtual Box Sugar ?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Oct 5 12:37:25 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

On 5 Oct 2009, at 16:41, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks, I made progress. Now I am getting
>
> I am getting "mount: unknown filesystem type 'vboxsf'"  any thoughts?
>
> http://screencast.com/t/oT7bZaKPpm0

Ah yes... Have you installed the Virtual Box guest additions into the
virtual machine OS (Fedora)?

The guest additions help make the VM better integrate into the host
operating system – things like shared folders, clipboard sharing for
copy/paste, mouse sharing (though with Sugars hot corner Frame design
mouse sharing is often better left disabled), window resizing, etc.

Some of the various Sugar images I've used had guest additions already
installed, not so sure though for more recent builds – I'm loosing
track somewhat as I've been working so much in a sugar-jhbuild
environment.

You really need to read the documentation at this point... You can't
put if off any longer ;-) Just go to the VirtualBox Help menu and
select Contents to see the .pdf UserManual, and read the introduction
to chapter 4, then 4.3 describes how to install the guest additions
(basically you have to mount a CD like .iso that VB provides, run some
more terminal commands to download the needed build GNU/Linux tools,
then some more terminal commands to build the guest additions).

Sections 4.6 to 4.9 will describe the features this work gets for you.

Clearly this is not something a kid or teacher should be doing, in the
past there were (experimental) SoaS images made that had this already
built/installed. If VirtualBox is a serious target platform, then you
may want to raise the need to start building in the Fedora guest
additions for VB, as standard.

Regards,
--Gary