[IAEP] Accessing the hard drive of the host machine from a Virtual Box Sugar ?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Oct 4 18:58:06 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

On 4 Oct 2009, at 23:42, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Does anyone know how to bring files from the host's hard drive (I am
> on a Mac) into a Sugar running in Virtual Box?

Sure. FWIW it's all in the VirtualBox help pdf (just go to the Help
menu, and the Contents...) The quick route is:

1) Make sure you're not running or saved the sugar VM (can't change
settings unless it's off)
2) Select your Sugar VM and open Settings
3) Select Shared Folders
4) Hit the + folder icon, choose a folder path (the pop-up has a
standard Mac dialogue if you click Other...)
5) Give it a name, say shared_with_sugar (I don't usually tick the
read-only as it is useful both ways)
6) You're done with settings, so launch your VM
8) In a VM Terminal window type

	mkdir ~/shared_directory
	sudo mount -o uid=500 -t vboxsf shared_with_sugar ~/shared_directory

9) You'll now see any shared files in here

Next time you reboot the VM you'll need to just run the above mount
command again. You can obviously point this set-up anywhere, so you
could share ~/Desktop from your Mac to the VM somewhere, just depends
how you work. Personally I just have a Sugar folder with all my Sugar
related work.

Regards,
--Gary