[IAEP] Any ideas how to make an image with a transparent background inSugar?

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 10:28:52 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline (and folks),

What is a good document exchange format for IAEP? Open Office Writer? Vanilla email is painful for more detailed explanations, and most wikis are too.

First, for a teacher’s approach to animating a caterpillar in Etoys, see the excellent book: The XO
Laptop In The Classroom, page 39-44, by Sdenka Zobeida Salas Pilco.

For animation, we have a choice to either give the
children an animation “application” which has special features to allow certain
kinds of animation to be done easily – for example, the Animation Activity on
the XO – but how a computer does this is a black box -- or, we could try to reveal how animation works (and a little about how
programming works) by having the children make their own animations from more
basic materials. Etoys does the latter. The crucial threshold here is that the mechanisms
revealed have to be simple enough to allow the main goal of
making an animation and using the mechanisms to be thought about at the same time.

The problems of scaling, etc., are handled by the mechanisms in Etoys

Your Goal
Etoy images are held internally in their highest resolution (to allow scaling without losing detail).

Your question is quite reasonable, and works easily inside of Etoys world, but requires a little more work to make an image in the form you need that can be exported to another Activity.

Here's how I would make a scaled image for export.

1. I would use the resize handle (just as you did) to make the caterpillar on the desktop the size that you want.
2. I would "grab a stamp" from this image, by getting the stamp tool and using it.
     a. To do this, I would open the Supplies Bin by clicking on that icon on the Sugar Nav bar.
     b. In here are often used objects and a more general object catalog with many more -- this is found in the first position of the Supplies Bin.
     c. Drag out the Objects catalog.
     d. Click on "Graphics"
     e. "Grab Patch" is in the second row. Click on it to get a sticky "grab patch" cursor.
     f. Draw through your caterpillar on the desktop.. This will give you a new caterpillar picture at the size and resolution you want.
     g. click to put this on the desktop.
3. Right click on this to get its halo of handles. Choose "Repaint".
4.Choose "No Color" in the color palette. Choose the fill tool (the paint bucket). Use this to make the color around the caterpillar transparent. Click on "Keep"
5. Export this to your other activity

A good reason for doing the animation also in Etoys (or Scratch), is that the animated caterpillar is essentially like a Logo turtle with costume changes, so it can move around under program control, can sense "food" and possibile "dangers", etc. This is closer to the spirit of using computers to model ideas than just to make animated cartoons that show a little story, but don't have models of meaning behind them.

Cheers,

Alan