[IAEP] A proposal from Trisquel (Was Re: [SoaS] [DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Oct 2 04:36:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 12:50:31AM +0200, Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:
> El jue, 01-10-2009 a las 22:04 +0100, Martin Dengler escribió:
> > On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 10:47:57PM +0200, Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:
> > > You can find more info here: http://trisquel.info/en/trisquel-sugar
> >
> > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1) May I ask why you are creating a Sugar spin?
>
> Trisquel was born as a university project, and it has a strong focus in
> education. We think schools are the main battlefront for free software.
> This is why we made the Trisquel Edu edition, including several sets of
> educational software running on GNOME, and tools for class management
> like iTALC or LTSP. Sugar is a wonderful addition to our educational
> suite, and it can make use of the tools we already have in the system.

Thanks for the background.

> > 2) How can we send patches?  IIUC the latest Trisquel Sugar .ISO won't
> > boot on an OFW machine like the XO-1 due to the lack of an olpc.fth.
>
> We didn't try it on a XO yet

I did :).

> > One like SoaS uses[1] might be good to include, but - I'm sorry for
> > the lack of searching skills - I couldn't find a place to submit a
> > patch that includes a suitable olpc.fth.
>
> We use the issue tracker for that:
> http://trisquel.info/en/project/issues

Thanks - I'll file a request to have XO-1 boot Trisquel.

> I've just added the "Sugar" component to it. We need to come up with a
> cool project name.

> What do you think about "TOAST", for "Trisquel On A
> Sugar Toast"? :D

Heh, good recursive retronym.  Trisquel's On a STick might be another
one you could use.

> >   Where is the code you use to
> > generate the ISOs (I assume it's a lot more complex than the SoaS
> > code[2] because I did manage to find the "How Trisquel is made"[3]
> > page)?
>
> You can find it here:
> http://devel.trisquel.info/isobuilder/makedistro

Thanks - that's interesting (I guess it has a bootstap issue - one
needs a Trisquel master CD to make a new CD, but that's only a
theoretical curiosity for me) and good to know about.

> It is in fact a very simple script, most of the job is done in the
> Trisquel packages and metapackages. We are now rewriting the script
> using the live-helper tool from Debian, which should allow us to reduce
> it to a dozen lines or so.

Cool.  I didn't see anything about persistent overlays in the
makedistro script (as it's just for the .ISO, makes sense) nor in the
http://devel.trisquel.info/live-usb*.sh scripts.  I don't want to
waste your time walking me through this stuff, but I guess I was
expecting to be able to find most of the code in a source code repo.
I pointed you to our repo in case you want to look around.

There's also the OLPC Fedora-11-on-XO code at
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/fedora-xo/ .

> The "How Trisquel is made" describes how the distro was created, but now
> that it is done, it is a lot easier to maintain than how it looks. If
> you want a new, let's say, amd64 version of the Sugar iso, you just need
> to run "makedistro all amd64 trisquel-sugar" and wait for five
> minutes.

...and have downloaded the Trisquel CD and have access to all the
Trisquel team's work on the trisquel servers, but yeah :).

> We did almost no changes to our build scripts for this project, it works
> just with the tiny trisquel-sugar metapackage, some artwork, and the
> impressive repository Aleksey built for us.

I am impressed by the amount of infrastructure you guys have.  Thanks
for getting involved with Sugar.

Martin