[IAEP] Any ideas how to make an image with a transparent background inSugar?

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 22:30:27 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline

I think what you want to do is to take that picture of the caterpillar and erase all but the caterpillar?

To do that you want to "repaint" the picture (it is already an image).

First get the "halos" (which every object in Etoys will show) by right clicking on the picture.

                 There is balloon help on most things in Etoys, and each halo handle will say what it does.

                       For example, to duplicate your picture, drag on the green button in the upper right corner. A duplicate copy will drag off.

                       To put something in the trash, click on the "move to trash" handle in the upper left corner.

--> To repaint, click on the "repaint" handle on the right side, mid height.

                  There is help about most things in Etoys under the "?" on the Sugar menu bar.

For doing your task, I like to choose "no color" in the paint palette (it's the bar over the color rainbow). Then I will choose various sizes of the circular brushes to do the work of removing the background. The "Undo" in the paint box will undo one whole stroke.

When done, click on "Keep" in the paint box. If you want to start over, click on "Toss".

You now have a picture of the caterpillar with transparent fill around it.

The PNG format (a standard open source format) will allow the picture to be filed with the transparent fill preserved.

I'm presuming that the reverse of the process you used to get the image into Etoys will get it back to where you want to use it.

For a nice way to animate a wriggling caterpillar, you can also look at the example in Sdenka Salas' recent book of the XO in Peru.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Best wishes,

Alan