[IAEP] A proposal from Trisquel (Was Re: [SoaS] [DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel)

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez ruben at gnu.org
Thu Oct 1 16:47:57 EDT 2009

> > I have no illusions about the difficulty of jumpstarting an
> > ecosystem, but since that is necessary to the success of Sugar, we
> > need to make it happen.  I have ideas for plans for that too
> > [...other ideas for plans]
>
> That's all great but it boils down to what I said: we can't do it now,
> where "we" is Sugar Labs and "it" is: create better distro than
> Fedora-ish and service that distro with distro-vendor-quality support
> and infrastructure.
>
> So I propose we come up with some way to do it (ibid.)  to propose to
> SLOB or we get real should say we're not going to do it (for now).
> Either is better than the status quo of not doing it and pretend that
> we are

I'm still a newbie here, but let me propose an idea. Feel free to
discard it if it's inappropriate.

In the project Trisquel we've just made our own -still unnamed as a
project- version of a "distro for Sugar", and it has all the features
you were talking about in the last days, including a disk installer,
live cd with persistence, live usb with persistence, live usb graphical
creator, Sugar style artwork, LTSP support, unattended installation...
Coming soon we will have unattended distributed installation using pxe.

We are going to maintain this project no matter if it is used by SL or
not. And as an important feature, Trisquel is fully libre and endorsed
by the FSF. We are open -and looking forward- to collaboration with SL.

We don't want to compete with other projects like SoaS -we will not use
that name either-, in fact I'd like to thank the SoaS authors, as I'm
sure their work made it easier for us to make our version.

My only intention with this message is for you to know our alternative.
We are distro hackers -I don't like the "vendors" moniker-, so we have
the skills and resources required, allowing you to focus on the Sugar
development. Now that the initial tasks of our project are done, the
maintenance will be easy. In fact, we will start publishing nightly
builds with the latest Trisquel updates and the latest version of the
Sugar components. We hope it will be a tool for developers and testers.

You can find more info here: http://trisquel.info/en/trisquel-sugar

Rubén