[IAEP] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.86.0 Final Release

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:46:31 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 03:42, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 10/01/2009 06:13 AM, Kevin Cole wrote:
>>
>> First: congrats to all.
>>
>> Second: User-friendliness bug:
>>
>> The release notes say "Please see the instructions (SoaS, Fedora,
>> Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) of choice to upgrade to this release."
>> No link to instructions provided in either e-mail or wiki version.
>> Searching the wiki turned up "Supported Systems" which merely states
>> that to upgrade "sudo olpc-update 767" with the appropriate build
>> number.  Build number not provided in the release notes.
>>
>> So a build number and/or a link to the best set of instructions would
>> be most welcome.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> This is the announcement of the source tarballs of the Sucrose 0.86 release.
> Now it needs to be packaged for the distributions. Each distribution will
> have another way of packaging (deb, rpm...) and will have different ways of
> updating (yum, aptitude, olpc-update...).
>
> Sugar is the upstream project, that is why I do not add downstream
> distribution notes in the announcements. What would be nice is that
> packagers of each distribution update the wiki instructions for their
> distribution accordingly and send a note to the mailing list to encourage
> testers.
>
> I hope that we will have a new soas snapshot containing the 0.86 for testing
> soon as well.
>
> In the hope that this explanation is of any help,
>   Simon

Ah.  Thanks.  Too much e-mail, and that means I am not following as
closely as I should, I suspect.  The impression I was getting was that
"final release" meant "already in some semi-simple way, ready for the
XO 1.0, and possibly SoaS".  That, and I've been "burning the midnight
oil at both ends". (How's that for mixed metaphor?)

--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo
Washington, DC