[IAEP] Wanted: List of Sugar activities for the XO-1.5

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:05:27 EST 2009

Chris,

I agree with Gerald on either Get Books or Get IA Books (not both).
Get Books is still being worked on by Sayamindu Dasgupta but perhaps
he could get it in shape for inclusion in time.  Right now it doesn't
work on .82, but I can't see that being an issue.

Get IA Books works on either but is limited to the books in the
Internet Archive.  There are only about a million books there!  It is,
however, ready to go.  It isn't a popular download on ASLO but it
deserves to be.

You might also consider Read Etexts, because of its text to speech
with highlighting feature and its own built in book search.  It only
works with Project Gutenberg titles, so no pictures.  The present
version is useable, but I'm working on a new version that supports
word wrapping on PG texts and saving font size and speech preferences
(pitch and rate).  This is a popular download on ASLO.

I've never tried the IRC Activity so I'm not knocking it, but I wonder
if children would find that useful.  They already have Chat and Speak.

If you're going to include Read you should consider what evince
modules, etc. to include with it.  With the right modules Read can do
DJVU, .cbz, and EPUB documents as well as PDFs.  DJVU in particular is
useful for Internet Archive books.

James Simmons