[IAEP] [SoaS] R: E-Books for Sugar on a Stick (Blueberry)

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:47:25 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> 2009/11/17 Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com>:
> > It's an excellent point; after all, Mingoville
> > http://www.mingoville.com/ based in Denmark I believe claims over 1
> > million users, 100+ activities for children to practice English.
> >
> > But there's another facet: dominant languages such as English,
> > Spanish, French, put pressure on minority languages. Sugar has a role
> > to play supporting many languages, not just in the interface, but in
> > content. There have been suggestions in the past that we position
> > Sugar as a great way to learn English, and indeed it can be
> > (especially in a connected environment), but I feel English should not
> > be privileged over local languages.
>
> Can we make Sugar a good platform for publishing e-books? Anybody has
> already thought of what it would take?

Going along the same lines but in a different direction then Tomeu....This
teacher asked for a simple book creation tool for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRcKP1MJQs

Might not be hard to create a Turtle Art Template that prints in a way that
lets you fold the printed page to create a book.

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office