[IAEP] R: [SoaS] E-Books for Sugar on a Stick (Blueberry)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:55:29 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's an excellent point; after all, Mingoville
> http://www.mingoville.com/ based in Denmark I believe claims over 1
> million users, 100+ activities for children to practice English.
>
> But there's another facet: dominant languages such as English,
> Spanish, French, put pressure on minority languages. Sugar has a role
> to play supporting many languages, not just in the interface, but in
> content. There have been suggestions in the past that we position
> Sugar as a great way to learn English, and indeed it can be
> (especially in a connected environment), but I feel English should not
> be privileged over local languages.

FWIW, I have a Bengali ebook with nonsense rhymes in Bengali as a EPUB
(I had hacked it together to demonstrate that Read can handle fonts
embedded in EPUB files - but the fonts need to be installed in the
system to render the Table of Content properly). If you want, I can
polish it up and put it up somewhere by the end of this week for
inclusion in Blueberry.

I used Sigil[1], a Free/Open Source tool to create the EPUB file.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

[1] http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

--