[IAEP] [Marketing] AP: Schools shun Kindle, saying blind can't use it

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:41:24 EST 2009

I personally find the Kindle such a fad with short legs... Sorry, I will be
called a troll again ;-)

Anyway, a couple weeks ago USA Today had an article about some fancy school
that was giving up its (paper) book library because of pathetic low use, and
going for Kindles instead.  Like refusing to accept the fact that the
problem is not the technology, but that their overstimulated, gadgety kids
couldn't care less about reading, a standard issue in our neck of the
woods.
Giving them Kindles makes it look to the parents that the school is doing
/something/.  Sad.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-10-26-kindle-school-library_N.htm

NN's one-page computer ("XO 3")is the right concept for distributing a "book
like" experience, I believe, and if the XO were not burdened by a multilayer
software system, and the mouse buttons that get activated when pressed down
in e-book mode, the XO 1 itself could run circles around the Kindle.

As it is we could still do something, but I see other priorities, like
lowering the price of the XO 1.
Kindle-like performance ain't it, but then that's my opinion