[IAEP] The Guardian: PlayPower: 1980s computing for the 21st century

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 11:48:16 EST 2009

Yamandu, I don't think it's at all fair to imply that OLPC has
attempted to "corner" any market. It's easy in hindsight to suggest
ways some things could have been done differently or better (I do that
too), but market cornering is something corporations do to other
corporations.... or to nonprofits.

Intel for example used their field sales force to find out what OLPC
was saying to government buyers in the largest developing countries
(BRIMC), and thought up local assembly of the Classmate architecture,
springboarding on their extensive partner network (and Microsoft's no
doubt). Which has led to the Archos launches in Western Europe of...
Chinese-built Classmates.

What Exon (http://www.exon-technology.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_noname&product_id=116&category_id=55&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55)
and DMP are doing is of interest
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-October/002174.html),
but there are many, many pieces left out to get to that (claimed)
price point.

Sean.