[IAEP] The Guardian: PlayPower: 1980s computing for the 21st century

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:49:38 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 3:24 AM, Yama Ploskonka <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Elonex One clones are available right now for about $75 USD in
> quantities over 100.  They were released original well after the XO 1,
> and have about similar hardware.  Originally they sold for about $300.

Again, probably unsold stock.

> The XO seems to be about the only one defying Moore's :-)

No, we are in good company. I am seeing some companies doing
misleading PR over *incomplete* laptops that allegedly cost USD100.
Except that if you add ram, storage and some kind of battery, they
cost 200. And Wifi is still not included.

Forget about it being designed for kids, rugged, long life batteries
that don't explode, high quality screens or anything.

We opened this market, so it's good to see it evolve. It'd be nice to
see people build something actually comparable, at a comparable price.
Nobody does right now.

Do they muddy the waters? Heck yeah! Dodgy PR is way cheaper than engineering.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions