[IAEP] SLs Chile and GNOME Chile

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 6 11:37:07 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 20:45, Werner Westermann <wernerio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tomeu, regards from Santiago, Chile.

Hi, sorry for the delay.

> GNOME community, as far as I know, it had a lot of ups and down in their
> effort to build collaborative work.  I really don't know if there's some
> counterpart to talk to.  This is no sin for any free-software community, but
> it gets hard to coordinate any kind of cooperation.  Where do you see that
> there's potential around Chile?  Are yo talking to chileans involved with
> GNOME?
>
> I must say that stimulating GNOMErs to work around Sugar could be a good
> idea, but I feel that should come from GNOME's vision and scope.  Two
> chileans are in GNOME's board (Germán Poo http://www.calcifer.org/ and
> Fernando San Martín http://blogs.gnome.org/fsmw/), and maybe they could
> help.  Is there any work going around SL and GNOME today?

No, I was really just asking, not suggesting it would be something
worth doing. Just stumbled upon the gnome.cl page and asked here.

We should differentiate between the foundation and the FOSS project.
The foundation has some moneys and the mission to protect and
stimulate the project activities, but the work is done by the
community.

About the GNOME Foundation, Walter is in the advisory board. About the
community, just because we use components in GNOME we are already part
of it, but also Sugar developers regularly contribute to GNOME. We are
going to meet with some developers next week in Bolzano to discuss
cooperation.

Regards,

Tomeu

> Best wishes,
>
> werner
>

> 2009/11/2 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> have you considered reaching GNOME Chile for cooperation? Sugar's code
>> is more than 90% from GNOME and the two upstreams regularly cooperate.
>>
>> There's lots of potential for resource pooling in the technical level,
>> and also in the advocacy for free software in education.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tomeu
>>
>> --
>> «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
>> What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
>> Farning

Farning